Sunday, October 30, 2016

The Half Way Point, Paella and Lots of American Football


Sunday, 30 October, 2016:

The first order of the day was to find out how my beloved Washington Huskies (#4, 7-0) did yesterday on the road against the Utah Utes (#16, 7-1).

 Huskies (8-0) 34 - Utes (7-2) 27

Still four tough regular season games and hopefully a PAC-12 Championship Game to boot before we can seriously be considered for the playoff system.

Hump Day

When I accepted my current position with the Osos, I was asked to teach fundamentals to the players and coach the coaches of the Osos and their feeder programs, the Royal Oaks Knights, the Alcobendas Osos and, of course, the mighty Guadalajara Stings during the pre-season for the clubs.

The contract called for me to be in Madrid for 64 days.

Today was day 32.

Only 32 more days on the Iberian Peninsula, I need enjoy this last month to the fullest!

 Shopping at the local LIDL

Good groceries at good prices, I felt like a real bargain hunter.

The early afternoon called for me to drive up to Alcalá de Henares to the home of Guadalajara Stings President Hector Manzano and his wife Noelia and one year old daughter Arish.

A street near Hector's home

My grandparents on my Mother's side of the family were from the province of Asturias.

We had two things to accomplish today.

First . . .

 . . . share an EXCELLENT Paella

We were joined by Stings' Head Coach Orlando Webb and the Stings' QB Tim Hilz for this incredible meal.

Afterwards we all watched todays NFL game from London between the Washington Redskins and the Cincinnati Bengals which ended in a 27-27 overtime tie.

At one point Tim made the comment about how nice it has been to be welcomed into the Manzano's home on Sundays for meals, football and a heavy dose of camaraderie.

I couldn't agree with Tim more! Families like the Manzanos are such a part of the rich fabric that can be the very best of the EuroBall experience.

Good people.

After the London game was over, I headed back to La Casa Grande to watch the NFL's Red Zone mania channel of the days first set of games from America.

We were joined by Osos' President
Enrique Martín Alonso's family

That's Enrique in the red shirt, his sons Jorge and Jaime are nearest me as I take this photo and his wife Yvonne is on the right. 

Osos Head Coach Jesús Sanchez is in the white shirt.

Another great family that supports us during our stay in Madrid.

The COUNTDOWN continues, as there are only . . .

. . . more days until Laurie
leaves Camarillo for Madrid

No comments: