Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Summer Reading List


One of my goals for this Summer is to read at least one book a week starting on June 1st.

Here is a quick review of what I've read so far.


Henning Mankell is one of the great mystery writers in the world today and I love his Kurt Wallander character. This book was a big departure from that series to say the least.

"Daniel - A Novel" is the story of a young black boy who is uprooted from his home in Africa's Kalahari Desert and lands up in Sweden. Once there, the rest of the tale deals with his struggles to return home at any cost and, more interestingly, the clash of cultural values.

An interesting read.


I have read most of Patricia Cornwell's mystery books featuring Kaye Scarpetta and her inner circle of crime solvers. To be blunt, the characters are losing their steam and I think that in this book she really is starting to reach for fresh ideas.

It was an O.K. read but not as good as her earlier works in the Scarpetta series.

Up next, Henning Mankell's latest mystery blockbuster "The Troubled Man". It is billed as the final installment in the Wallander series.

I hope not.

No comments: