Thursday, August 26, 2010

On the Road Again


Wednesday, August 25, 2010

We woke up early to do some last minute packing and found it raining outside. This would make the half mile walk to the train station daunting. Then, out of the blue, Johan Hammarqvist sent me a text message offering to drive us to the station! TACK!!!

We only had to wait five minutes before the train left for Copenhagen's Kastrup Airport. Once there, there was no one in line at check-in, two minutes and we were done! Security was equally easy, only five minutes from start to finish.

The flight to London's Heathrow Airport was great and we felt good about Laurie making her connection only one hour after our touching down. Unfortunately, we had to board a bus that stayed parked on the tarmac for 20 minutes because a plane waiting to take off was in our path, PANIC TIME!

We sprinted through the airport and Laurie made her flight. She also accidently took my book which I was only 120 pages from finishing, DAMN!

I weighed in my backpack at 7.8 kilos, not bad for a 500 mile walk.

After checking into the Wardonia Hotel near St. Pancras Station, I bought a ticket to see William Shakespeare's "Henry IV - Part 1" at the Old Globe Theater. Great fun! I had a good seat but the Groundlings and the actors were getting wet due to the ongoing rain and the fact that The Globe is open roofed with only the people in the seats covered from the elements. There was a great Falstaff portrayl by the way.

It is now Thursday, August 26th as I write this in London's Stansted Airport awaiting my flight to Biarritz, France on Ryan Air.

Wish me luck. . . PLEASE!

5 comments:

Estalita said...

Good luck George. We'll be following your progress. I'm sure it will be a very memorable experience.

Anonymous said...

Luck luck luck! Have fun and be safe George! I know this will be an incredible experience for you, and we will all be waiting for you when you finally come home!

David said...

Best of luck, George. The first lunch is on me when you get back.

Dick said...

George, Wishing you safe travels on your journey. Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate. There will be some beer waiting at casa de bellman on your return. Good luck.

George said...

Crossed the Pyrenees Mountains today. I'm tired!